Single plate clutch is the most common type of clutch plate used in automobiles. It consists only one clutch plate which is mounted on the splines of the clutch plate. The Flywheel is mounted on the engine crankshaft and rotates with it.
The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel through clutch springs and is free to slide (Move) on the clutch shaft when the clutch pedal is operated (Engage and Disengage).
If Clutch Engaged
When the clutch is engaged (Means when you not pressed clutch pedal), the clutch plate is gripped between the flywheel and pressure plate.
The friction linings are on both the sides of the clutch plate. The clutch plate revolves the flywheel because of the friction between the flywheel, clutch plate and the pressure plate.
The clutch shaft also revolves with clutch plate. Clutch shaft is connected to the transmission gearbox. Now, the engine power is transmitted to the crankshaft and then to the clutch shaft and gearbox.
Clutch always engaged due to the spring forces.
If Clutch Disengaged
When the clutch is disengaged (Means when you pressed clutch pedal), the pressure plate moves back against the force of the springs, and the clutch plate becomes free between the flywheel and the pressure plate.
The Flywheel always rotating with crankshaft. Then, Clutch shaft speed reduces slowly and stops rotating.
This is the line diagram (Drawing) of Single Plate Clutch.
- Single Plate Clutch is not expensive.
- It has little maintenance.
- Gear shifting is easier compare to cone clutch because pedal movement is less.
- Single Plate Clutch is more reliable because it does’t suffer from disadvantages of binding of cone.
- Greater force required to disengage because the springs have to be more stiff.
- Single plate clutches are used in trucks, buses, and cars etc.
- Single plate clutches used where large radial space is available.
- As sufficient surface area is available for the heat dissipation in Single plate clutches, no cooling oil is required. Therefore, single plate clutches are dry type.
The main clutch types are friction clutches and fluid flywheel.