Here you can get types of multi-plate clutch. Multi plate clutch used in different types of vehicles.
Multi-Plate Clutch consists of a number of clutch plates instead of only one clutch plate like in the Single plate clutch. Friction surface also increased because of a number of clutch plates. Because of a number of friction surfaces, The capacity of the clutch to transmit torque is also increased.
Multi-Plate Clutch Types
Multi-Plate Clutches are four types. These clutches are used in automatic transmission.
1.Spring Type Multi-Plate Clutch
In the clutch, a cowl attaches with a flywheel of engine use internal which the multiple clutch plates, pressure plate, thrust bearing, etc. packed. The clutch plates location over every different and mount over a splined shaft.
- This pressure plate used are made to contact with the clutch plates pack in order to engage the clutch and the release of this contact will result in dis-engagement of the clutch.
- The engagement of the clutch is maintained by the stiffness provided by the number of thrust springs placed in circular fashion used behind the pressure plate, due to the compression of these thrust springs disengagement of the clutch occurs.
- As the thrust springs operated with the pedal movement is used to engage and disengage the clutch, this type of clutch is called spring type multi-plate clutch.
- Spring Type Multi-Plate Clutch is used in old cars and bikes.
2. Diaphragm Type Multi-Plate Clutch
It is the changed model of the spring type multi-plate clutch. In which the thrust springs locations circularly from the spring kind clutch replace with a special crown-form finger kind spring referred to as diaphragm spring.
- During the engaged state of the clutch the fingers like fins of the diaphragm clutch stays in inflated state due to which the pack of multiple clutch plates having friction lining at the other end attached with this spring makes continuous frictional contact with the flywheel results in power transmission between the engine flywheel and the transmission shaft.
- Diaphragm Type Multi-Plate Clutches is used in modern cars and bikes.
3. Hydraulic Operated or Automatic Clutch
It is the modern type of clutch makes use of in motors geared up with automatic transmission, in this type of clutch a hydraulic tool having highly compress fluid operates with the accelerator pedal coupled with the multi-plate clutch.
- Multi-plate clutch is considered to be the best clutch device used in vehicle equipped with the automatic transmission due to its high torque transmission and also due to its advantage of less pedal effort needed to operate the clutch
4. Wet Multi-Plate Clutch And Dry Multi-Plate Clutch
Multi-Plate wet Clutch When the clutch is operated in an oil bath, it is called a wet clutch. In this clutch plate, Thin plates of steel fitted to engine shaft (means drive shaft) and phosphor Bronze plates are fitted to the clutch shaft (means driven shaft). Multi-plate clutch has grooved surfaces for allowing the oil to flow through them. These grooves decrease heat generated when engage and disengage operations.
Multi-Plate dry Clutch When the clutch is operated dry it is called dry clutch. This clutch has plates with friction material the same as in single plate clutch.
The plates are alternately fitted to the engine crankshaft and gearbox shaft. They are firmly pressed by strong coil springs and assembled in a drum type casing.
Each of the alternate clutch plate slides on the grooves on the flywheel and the other slides on splines on the pressure plate. Thus, each alternate clutch plate has inner and outer splines.
- The working of Multi-plate clutch is the same as a single plate clutch by operating the clutch pedal.
- The pressure plate rotates with the flywheel and It press against the friction plate.
- This forces the clutch plate and clutch shaft as well.
- When the clutch pedal is pressed, The clutch plates are released and flywheel still rotating because they are not fully pressed by the pressure plate. Thus clutch shaft also stops rotating.
- Multi-plate clutch transmits high torque because of the number of friction surfaces.
- The overall diameter of Multi-plate clutch is reduced compare to the single plate clutch and transmit the same torque.
- It is used in heavy vehicle and racing cars to transmit high torque.
- It is used in two wheelers where there is a limitation of space.
- Multi-plate clutches are too expensive.
- Multi-plate clutches are heavy.
- The multi-plate clutches are used in racing cars, and motorcycles.
- The multi-plate clutch is used in heavy commercial vehicles to transmit high torque.
Where Multi-Plate Clutches are used?
The multi-plate clutches are used in racing cars, heavy commercial vehicles, and motorcycles.What are the disadvantages of Multi plate clutch?
Multi-plate clutches are too expensive and heavy.